October 5, 2010

Lemon Bars

I love to bake a special birthday treat for all my co-workers on their birthday. This recipe has become an office favorite that I have made many times:

Crust:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour 
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar 
  • 3/4 cup butter melted 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla 
  1. Mix flour and sugar together until well blended 
  2. Add butter and vanilla and mix 
  3. Press into greased 9 x 13 pan, I use olive oil 
  4. Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes until the edges start to get a little brown 
Topping:
  • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar 
  • 6 eggs 
  • 4-5 lemons 
  • Lemon juice 
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest 
  • 1/3 cup flour 
  1. While crust is baking mix sugar and flour until well blended 
  2. Crack all eggs into the sugar/flour mixture and mix until well blended 
  3. Zest lemon into mixture 
  4. Juice all lemons, should be about a 1/2 cup (If all lemons do not juice a 1/2 cup and I am out of lemons, I will add lemon juice so that it is a 1/2 cup) I also like to roll my lemons on the counter before I cut them to loosen the juice, it makes it easier. 
  5. Pour lemon juice in mixture and whisk until bubbly 
  6. After crust is finished, pour lemon mixture over the top and bake for 20 minutes until the top is lightly browned 
  7. Cool on wire rack and serve. Some people like powdered sugar on the top but I think they are sweet enough! 
ENJOY!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. I have had them and I can attest to their greatness.

    ReplyDelete